Likes Likes:  0

Thread: surley track ends

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default surley track ends

Want to build a fixed freme with the Surley ends but have seen on the Ceeway side that their listed for TIG use. Has anyone used them without TIG and just brace brazed, being lazy and not wanting to slit the chainstay and use conventional ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: surley track ends

I have never done it, but flanged ends generally don't have a lot of room for a fillet. I suspect getting a good miter is as much if not more difficult than slotting. Remember, the miters have to be good because the area between the tube and dropout is where all the strength is. If there is too much gap, it's not going to be strong enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surly/ Sub11 track ends can be fillet brazed. The fit up needs to be good, the cast surface thoroughly prepared and heat/ flow done well (its a lot of meat stuck on the thin end of a narrow tube).

I generally prefer socket or tabbed drop outs, but flange type can be used. Like anything, it's doing it well that makes the difference.

Not that they are necessarily less work, but the square cut internal plug Long Shen LR15 he sells are also pretty straight forward (with similar caveats).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One possible method to insure more surface contact between the stay ends and the drop out flange is to braze a plug up inside the stay end before mitering. this way you'll have a solid rod's amount of contact and no worries about how much filler flowed into the stay, during the stay/drop out brazing. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using the same ones for my current frame.

These particular dropouts have a 3-4 mm or so plug built into them to help with the interface. My plan, since I'm not a super-confident brazer and haven't done a ton of fillet brazing, is to put a ring of brass in there, sweat it so that I know that it's bonded on the inside, then make the fillet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for response. I think I'll stick with devil I know and go slotted, just like the look of the Surley's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Order a set the next time you buy from Peter. When the time comes and they match the project, you'll have them ready.

I like to order the occasional random bit on my orders just so I have some oddball stuff if i need it, and it helps me get a real feel for the options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just changed my order with Peter and taken a pair of the LR15´s,they´re gonna be for a frame for me so in theory I coulda gone with the Surleys just to test.....next time. Though I´m pretty sure that they could brass brazed without any problem. Thanks for help.