Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk dogs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Let's talk dogs

I lost my American Eskimo. Trying to find a new dog. Ideally I'd like another Eskimo between 6 months and a year of age. Feeling that may be a tall order?
    What's a good alternate breed for an apartment? I like Siberian Huskys and Australian Shephards but my research tells me both would be far more challenging to train and keep out of trouble. I want a medium size dog that will be a running partner once or twice a week. The Eskimo was perfect for that.

Thoughts? -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let's talk dogs

+VlRsUmVRRKOMcp%S8j7cg.jpgRidgeback. Awesome dogs but beware of the breeders who try and breed them to be "labradoodles". You want South African bloodlines. They will sleep all day 'till it's time to work. You are welcome to pm me for more commentary. And you'll have to drive to AL to pick him/her up. I like females. See my last weeks ride post for a crappy photo of her back. They can run ~25miles per outing w/o any problem at all. But they do need exercise or else they'll find a way to amuse themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Australian Shepherds are wonderful animals, but not for apartment life. They need something to do, and if they don't get more activity than running a few times a week, they'll find something to do.

We got our first 33 years ago, newly married and living in a condo, and the destruction was legendary. Now we live in the woods with an invisible fence, so the chipmunks keep the dogs busy when we're not home (and somebody is usually home).

TH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Clyde, A little bigger than I had in mind. But I do agree they are great dogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the little Mountain Cur's as well, they are true sporting dogs meant for coons, squirrels, etc. Mine is a great companion, and has the heart of Mother Theresa, but I worry again about activity level in an apt. She came from Hillbilly OH, a little closer to you. What I like best about her is that when. you come home, she finds you and won't leave you along until you left all of your worries on her back via petting. She is pictured on the ride thread also. I bought her for my son to use for squirrel hunting on our farm in OH, but she had different ideas about what she wanted to do with her time. None the less she has proven herself to be a fantastic "therapy dog". Well worth the overly-lengthy training situation. And I like Leerburg | 17,5 pages of dog training information, 935 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis for training aids, collars, leashes, toys, advice, etc. Well worth the dime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Australian Shepherds are wonderful animals, but not for apartment life. They need something to do, and if they don't get more activity than running a few times a week, they'll find something to do.

We got our first 33 years ago, newly married and living in a condo, and the destruction was legendary. Now we live in the woods with an invisible fence, so the chipmunks keep the dogs busy when we're not home (and somebody is usually home).

TH
    Maybe but maybe not - similar story - first Aussie 23 yrs ago, young couple, 2 bedroom apartment. We took (and had the time) to go through 2 x 8 week training sessions this was in addition to puppy classes and that dog was bomb proof. She also received at least 2 walks a day/some times three and she was a running companion for my wife.

Pay the price and go with a reputable breeder and you will get the dog you are looking for if you also put in the training.

Good luck , fun journey....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think getting a dog in Manhattan any larger than 35lbs is not great for the dog. Working dogs are probably the worst suited for apartment living and yet NYkers insist on turning perfectly good Labrador retrievers into Woody Allen. And if you routinely work more than a 40 hour week including commute(not uncommon in NYC) then you are really asking much more of the dog than you are of yourself. Plus the fecal component of soil in NYC parks is off the charts and there is so much dog urine on sidewalks, buildings and tree wells that it is second only to road salt in corrosive damage. Get a smaller dog, get a mixed breed dog, and if you absolutely need to have a dog, pick one with a temperament that fits your ability to spend time with it and the space it will have for 80% of the day you aren’t around.

Unpopular view I know.

Also this should be in OT.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    What's a good alternate breed for an apartment?
    Whippet.

Medium sized, clean, quiet and easy to keep. Single-coated (no undercoat) means they don't leave great masses of hair-based tumbleweeds all over your place and they don't smell 'doggy'. Perfect for a smaller place or apartment. We've had whippets for more than 30 years now, from our days long ago in a student apartment to townhouse condos and on to our current house.

We used to take them to the local rail/trail and they'd run along while we road our MTB's. I guess nowadays that'd be replaced by a gravel bike?

The biggest downside is they don't like winter, but during those months they're perfectly content to curl up on the couch with you and to sleep in the bed by your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think getting a dog in Manhattan any larger than 35lbs is not great for the dog.
    Whippet males are in the 32-35 lb range on average and females in the 25lb +/-. Meets j44ke's suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a Pomsky? (pomerianxhusky)

If you want another Eskie, why not check with a Eskimo Rescue society? I know the rescue agencies can be a little particular so a NYC apartment maybe a no, but worth an inquiry.

Otherwise, I'd look for a small-side shiba-inu. Great tough dogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

If you want another Eskie, why not check with a Eskimo Rescue society? I know the rescue agencies can be a little particular so a NYC apartment maybe a no, but worth an inquiry.

The first Eskie just happened. It worked out better than I imagined. I've put out feelers including the one you mentioned. So far nothing available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chow chows. They are well suited to urban life. We have had six of them over the years, 27 of which were in NYC. They self regulate food consumption, don't require the exercise of a working dog, and are calm if properly bred. We found excellent breeders through the show in MSG, and could forward the name to you if you like.

They are one family dogs, and bond to their owners for life.

We still have two, and three rescue dogs. You can find brilliant dogs at shelters in the city, but mostly they need rehab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

not much on pomsky's you can't locate them on petfinder. they may be too small to be a good running companion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a finnish spitz mix on pet-finder. anyone have an opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not much on pomsky's you can't locate them on petfinder. they may be too small to be a good running companion
    it's not the size of the dog in the fight...

From Rescue to Running: Truman, the Ultramarathon Doxin – Rex Specs

My family has GSPs, previously Rhodesians and Greyhounds.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59402026_10218863583558310_1467516790908125184_n.jpg

Go to the local shelter = there will be one that fits your specs !!!

I always get asked what kind she is and I say "mostly brown"

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a finnish spitz mix on pet-finder. anyone have an opinion?
    As long as its temperment is good. Check it out.

That being said, mutts rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We love our smallish Aussie to pieces. She needs a couple of walks per day, and if one of them isn't off leash ball chasing sprint work we're in for an evening of indoor playtime. She's very smart and could be trained to do just about whatever - she dominated the local agility course right away. But, if she gets a private moment outdoors she will run a mile through the woods to her best friend's house - and sometimes she comes back with our neighbor's Golder Retriever in tow. I think she'd be tough to handle in a city unless you have a close dog park and/or an agility course. She likes to have a job, and will make up her own if you don't give her one. But, she is not a destroyer of shoes or furiture or anything.

IMG_2546.JPG
    Bob Spooner
    Departing from
    East Hampton, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had always thought we'd be labrador parents (had two) but our two adopted mutts changed all that. Roger was pulled off streets malnourished and near death. He's happy now I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post
    We love our smallish Aussie to pieces. She needs a couple of walks per day, and if one of them isn't off leash ball chasing sprint work we're in for an evening of indoor playtime. She's very smart and could be trained to do just about whatever - she dominated the local agility course right away. But, if she gets a private moment outdoors she will run a mile through the woods to her best friend's house - and sometimes she comes back with our neighbor's Golder Retriever in tow. I think she'd be tough to handle in a city unless you have a close dog park and/or an agility course. She likes to have a job, and will make up her own if you don't give her one. But, she is not a destroyer of shoes or furiture or anything.

IMG_2546.JPG
    Lovely dog! She reminds me of our Bob.Bobxx.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ginny is a mini. A large mini.

TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast