Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Please recommend a light for my new workbench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Please recommend a light for my new workbench

All my existing workbenches are big honking things with relatively rough surfaces for heavy-duty work, so I recently got a smaller one with a 4' x 2' finished hardwood top for more detailed, less beefy jobs. The plan now is to put it in the middle of my basement workshop, but move it around as required. Instead of improving the lighting in the ceiling (which is a separate, long-term project) I'd like to get a light that's either clamped to the work surface or other attached to it to provide local illumination. I'm currently thinking something LED (warm, not "white / daylight") but haven't done enough research to come up with a specific bulb or holder type.

Anyone have any ideas or bought something lately that might work for me?

TIA

Edit: the one in the image below is $184 at Uline, which is more than I paid for the whole table, so I definitely won't get that one, but something like it would be a potentially good option:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Please recommend a light for my new workbench

Currently thinking I may go with this one or one like it. $75, which is more than I originally had in mind, but other than that, it appears to tick all the boxes and gets very good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/PHIVE-Archite.../dp/B07MHH9Q7B

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly recommend the architectural style lamps. A few years ago I picked one from the trash heap that had a broken pivot. This has served as my bench light since than. What I like most about it is that the lamp itself is narrow thus allowing you to stuff it quite close to your work if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots is right to say look afield. I only learned about this when my wife who paints was looking for new lamps. For instance, there is this one which looks to small but puts out a lot.... Studio Designs LED Bar Lamp | BLICK Art Materials. If you search through artist supply places like that one for « clamp lamp> you’ll find a bunch from stupid expensive to really fairly priced. Also, a lot of them come with both a mount system and a clamp system in the box,
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of these. I had one for years until I gave it away before a move. Great. Foot weighs a ton, beaucoups of light, works. Plus has place to put fountain pens (or screwdrivers) on the foot.

Vintage Flexo Art Deco Floating Drafting Desk Lamp Art Specialty Co. Brown Heavy | eBay
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    One of these. I had one for years until I gave it away before a move. Great. Foot weighs a ton, beaucoups of light, works. Plus has place to put fountain pens (or screwdrivers) on the foot.

Vintage Flexo Art Deco Floating Drafting Desk Lamp Art Specialty Co. Brown Heavy | eBay
    Ding. That is the actual light I picked from the dump albeit mine has a clamp rather than a foot.
    These were standard issue USA Gubbmint for desk workers. Bet you can find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'll check them out.